We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Inexperienced or novice amateur gardeners very often confuse the names of garden strawberries, Victoria and strawberries. However, according to experts, "Victoria" is one of the oldest, first varieties of wild strawberries brought to Russia. Transplanting "Victoria" in the spring is very relevant in areas with cold winters, which include Siberia and the Urals.
The need for a spring transplant
Strawberries, or garden strawberries, of any kind, including Victoria, are recommended to be transplanted to a new place every five years. A grafting of berry crops is a necessary measure in home gardening for several reasons:
- five years after planting on a permanent place, the berry culture ceases to form new growths, which can have a very negative effect on both qualitative and quantitative yield indicators;
- varieties with increased productivity carry out a significant amount of nutrients from the soil at all stages of the growing season, as a result of which the soil is depleted and ceases to provide the nutrition necessary for plant growth and development;
- prolonged cultivation of berry crops at the same place causes the accumulation of pathogenic microflora and wintering pests in the soil, which contributes to the rapid defeat of old and already weakened plants.
Most modern varieties and hybrid forms of garden strawberries are characterized by high productivity indicators, so they need enhanced nutrition. It is for this reason that plants need more often transplants. Experts recommend changing the plot for growing garden strawberries with continuous fruiting at least once every two years. Only in this case, the berry culture will bear fruit abundantly, and the harvested crop will be as tasty, useful and of high quality as possible. As a rule, in most regions of our country, transplantation is performed in the spring. Nevertheless, in order to choose the optimal time for transplantation and to understand in which month such an event will be most effective, you should know all the advantages and disadvantages of autumn and spring transplants.
How to transplant strawberries
Advantages and disadvantages
Autumn transplantation is relevant only if the cultivation of a popular berry culture is expected in regions with subtropical and tropical climatic conditions. In temperate regions, transplanting in the autumn period may result in plants not having time to fully adapt to growing in a new place before the first significant frosts occur and, as a result, will die in the winter. This berry culture belongs to the repair varieties, therefore, the period of autumn transplantation can be postponed to a relatively late autumn, but taking into account the possibility of rooting to frost.
In most regions of our country, spring is the best time for planting strawberries. It is best to plant and transplant berry bushes from the second decade of April to the last days of May. Thus, during the spring, as well as in the summer and autumn periods, the transplanted berry bushes will be able to fully adapt to the new growing conditions, they will easily tolerate winter colds and the next year they will form the most rich and high-quality crop.
Landing "Victoria" is necessary in well-lit and level areas, closed from gusts of cold wind, according to the following recommendations:
- You can not use for planting garden strawberries lowlands and areas with high humidity;
- perennial berry culture survives well and bears fruit abundantly on ridges where legumes, beets, onions, carrots, cereals, dill, parsley and garlic were previously grown;
- garden crops represented by cucumbers, cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes, any nightshade crops and wild strawberries will be bad predecessors for this variety;
- at least a month and a half before the expected dates of transplantation, a deep digging of the soil should be carried out and about three kilograms of humus per square meter should be added;
- optimal for growing is the area represented by sandy loamy soil, therefore, when digging, clean sand is introduced;
- before transplanting, the soil should be loosened to a depth of 8-10 cm, and then furrows should be made and spilled abundantly with water;
- the standard distance between the planted or transplanted berry bushes should be at least 20−25 cm;
- the standard distance between the rows should not be less than 50-60 cm, which will allow plants to provide an optimal nutritional area;
- immediately after transplantation, abundant watering with warm water and subsequent mulching with sawdust in a layer of 4-5 cm are carried out;
- Planting berry bushes over a special covering material gives a good result.
The plots on which Victoria has already been cultivated will be unsuitable for planting and replanting garden strawberries for at least five years.
Subsequent Strawberry Care
Agricultural technology of cultivating the variety "Victoria" in the conditions of home gardening is simple and practically has no differences from cultivating garden strawberries or strawberries:
- in early spring, berry bushes need to be carefully examined, and then cleaned of dried or frozen leaves;
- if necessary, to save planting from wintering plant parasites and pathogenic microflora, it is recommended to replace the top soil layer;
- the soil between the rows of strawberry plantings should be carefully, but very carefully loosened to a depth of not more than 6-7 cm;
- after loosening, the plantings should be mulched with sawdust, wood shavings, chopped straw, peat chips or ordinary humus;
- in the early spring, berry plants are very in need of fertilizing with nitrogen-containing fertilizers;
- immediately after the growth of fresh leaves, it is recommended to make a mullein solution with a small amount of ammonium sulfate;
- in the last decade of April or early May, a good result is given by top dressing with a complex of mineral fertilizers, which will provide abundant fruiting;
- for preventive purposes, it is very important to spray the berry plantings with a solution based on copper sulfate;
- watering is carried out in the morning or evening hours with the use of warm water warmed up in the sun;
- systematic removal of weed vegetation and loosening of the soil should be carried out, and if necessary, re-cultivation of the root system exposed as a result of irrigation;
- top dressing before mass flowering with potassium sulfate and nitrophos has a favorable effect on yield and quality characteristics of berries;
- after harvesting, berry plantations should be fed with a solution based on nitrophosphate and wood ash.
Strawberry "Victoria": growing
Transplanted plants need quality care. The main activities are aimed at accelerating the survival of berry bushes, as well as obtaining a plentiful and high-quality crop as soon as possible.