We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Rabbit meat is not often found in supermarkets and markets. Many country house owners and villagers keep rabbits, but in small numbers, for their own consumption. The profitability of production for sale is questionable by many. Consider the features of breeding rabbits as a business, whether this business is profitable or not, whether the costs are repaid, what difficulties will have to be faced.
Is it profitable to breed rabbits
The obvious advantage of the rabbit farm as a business is that there is little competition in the market. Pork and poultry are sold everywhere, but you will have to run for rabbit meat. Nutritionists constantly talk about the benefits of rabbit meat, although the fur is not very durable, it is soft and tender. Buyers for all types of rabbit products are easy to find. Let's take a look at the other benefits of a rabbit business, as well as possible complications.
Experts point out the following advantages of rabbit breeding:
- rapid growth and reaching maturity - a short life cycle, after 2-3 months rabbits can be slaughtered and get the first profit;
- farm registration is simple - the set of documents is small;
- insignificant start-up capital;
- all products from rabbits are sold - meat, skin, fur;
- insignificant expenses for maintenance and feed, unpretentiousness of rabbits in food;
- fertility (6-8 litters per year), minimum costs for young growth.
Rabbits are easy to keep, they do not displease neighbors - they do not make noise, do not trample crops and beds.
Cons and possible difficulties
Possible difficulties and dangers of rabbit breeding:
- the need for regular vaccinations - young and old rabbits can die from infections (myxomatosis, others);
- when selling meat to markets and catering establishments, sanitary certificates will be required.
The greatest risks are associated with the death of rabbits and the lack of reliable marketing schemes.
Rabbit breeding in Russia and abroad
Diet rabbit meat is valued all over the world, production is most developed in China, Italy, France. The main difference in breeding is the rejection of hay, the predominant use of pelleted feed. Rabbit farms give good profits due to the demand not only for meat, but also for leather (used for haberdashery), fur, and down.
The Soviet system of rabbit breeding was lost at the end of the 20th century due to an epidemic of viral hemorrhagic disease (70-80% of the livestock died). Since then, rabbits have been bred in a small-scale and household way. In recent years, interest in animal breeding has been growing.
Preparation and organization of cultivation
Before you start breeding rabbits, you need to familiarize yourself with the technology of growing, the features of keeping and feeding, purchase the necessary equipment for care. Based on the number of livestock and the appearance of offspring, ensure the purchase or procurement of feed. Breed selection is an important step.
Zarechny Maxim Valerievich
Agronomist with 12 years of experience. Our best summer cottage expert.
Advice: rabbits should be purchased from a breeding farm, where they monitor the purity of the breed, carry out vaccinations, there is less risk of getting sick animals of dubious quality.
As a result of selection, many breeds of rabbits have been bred, which are given certain characteristics. At the beginning of breeding, it is important to determine the sales market and the possibility of selling different types of rabbit products. Breeds are divided:
- Meat. Medium quality skin, fast weight gain, tasty meat. The best breeds are white and gray giant, flanders, New Zealand, German sheep.
- Fur and down. High quality skins, meat of medium nutritional value. Popular - angora, rex, white downy, black-fiery. It is necessary to keep such animals in large cages, to make sure that the skins do not deteriorate during friction and injury.
- Meat-skinned. The harmonious combination of high-quality skins and delicious meat makes these breeds the most popular. The best representatives are silver, Viennese blue, butterfly, Soviet marder, Soviet chinchilla.
In recent years, decorative breeds have become widespread, kept as pets, which are profitable to grow for sale. The most purchased species are the Dutch Fold, the pygmy ram, and the lion's head.
Most farms practice cage keeping rabbits using 3 types of cages:
- for young animals - several rabbits are kept;
- for male producers;
- for females - taking into account pregnancy and rabbits.
Rules for the selection or construction of cells:
- size - in accordance with the breed (for larger giants), on average, 4 times the size of the rabbit;
- the animal must fit, standing on its hind legs;
- a net for the floor will ensure the removal of feces;
- use stationary or mobile structures, outdoor or indoor.
Popular cultivation technologies - according to Mikhailov, according to Zolotukhin, in sheds. These technologies involve special cage systems that facilitate cultivation and mechanize the processes of caring for animals and cleaning houses.
Although rabbits are among the least picky pets to eat, rapid growth, health and reproduction will only provide a complete diet. It includes:
- juicy food - herbs in summer, roots, vegetables, fruits throughout the year;
- compound feed;
- rough - hay, straw, twigs and tree bark;
- animal supplements - fish and bone meal;
- vitamins, premixes.
If the rabbits are fed with one compound feed, 100-120 grams per individual are required per day. With mixed (with herbs and juicy feed) feeding, the volume of compound feed is reduced to 40-50 grams.
The right equipment will last a long time, will not cripple rabbits or suffer from their teeth. The cage must contain:
- heavy or fixed drinker;
- a pallet for excrement and debris from feed;
- secluded corner;
It is possible to raise healthy rabbits only if they are clean, so the cage will have to be cleaned, freed from manure, and the equipment should be washed. When choosing a cage design and equipment, it is worth giving preference to those that are easy to disassemble and disinfect.
Calculation of profitability and income
Starting a rabbit business, you can count on a decent income if you carefully think over the technology, exclude a significant mortality, and save on feed. Females are fertile, carrying cubs lasts about a month, soon after giving birth, the rabbits are ready to mate. The female gives 6-8 offspring per year, that is, on average, up to 60 rabbits.
On a farm with a hundred females, annually up to 5-6 thousand rabbits are obtained, which, when slaughtered, give, on average, 2 kilograms of pure meat. When giants are kept, the weight of the carcass rises to 4-5 kilograms. If you raise rabbits of average weight, from 100 females you can get up to 12 tons of meat products and earn up to 2.5 million rubles (at average prices).
So that the figures for calculating profitability do not remain on paper, the farm brought income, it is important to find a sales outlet for all types of products:
- hand over skins;
- sell manure to summer residents;
- find regular buyers for meat;
- sell young growth;
- rent out male producers to small farms.
Income increases the sale of rabbits as pets, offal from the slaughterhouse for fertilizers.
Drawing up a business plan with calculations for breeding rabbits at home
A great help for novice rabbit breeders is the availability of their own land on which it is allowed to build a farm. Further, they are determined with the type of company registration. Several forms are possible:
- individual entrepreneurship (IE) - beneficial for small farms, low taxes, minimum reporting, but in case of failure, the owner risks personal property;
- a peasant farm (KFH) is the most convenient option for rabbit farms, a tax of 6%, an opportunity to receive state support.
When growing on a personal subsidiary farm (LPH), difficulties will arise with the sale of products due to the lack of state registration.
The expenditure part for setting up a farm consists of the following components:
- Tax payments for land and farm, insurance premiums, permits.
- Farm construction, purchase of cages, inventory. Keeping rabbits outdoors reduces the building and operating costs of the facility. Arrangement of the farm territory - cesspool, slaughterhouse, feed shop, meat storage.
- Payment for veterinary services.
- Purchase or production of feed. If you have your own fodder base on the farm, costs are reduced.
- Purchase of rabbits.
We'll have to spend money on advertising, posting information about the farm's products. When drawing up a business plan, they provide for places of sale - catering, regular customers, retail outlets or chains.
The costs of building a farm and arranging housing for livestock are individual, depend on their own resources and methods of maintenance. With a farm population of 20 females, the following results can be expected per year:
- offspring yield - 1200 heads;
- average cost per carcass (prime cost) - 230 rubles;
- carcass price - 900 rubles;
- income per carcass - 670 rubles;
- annual turnover - 1,080,000 rubles;
- profit for the year - 804,000 rubles.
Income depends on many factors - the use of employees and the level of salaries, the ability to fully sell all rabbit products. Infectious diseases of young animals and females reduce the profitability of the farm, so you should not save on vaccinations and veterinarian services.
Reference: rabbit farms, if properly organized, pay off and make a profit in a year.
How to avoid mistakes
Experienced rabbit breeders give the following recommendations to beginners:
- the most profitable breeds of rabbits are meat and skin;
- before starting a business, determine sales markets for all types of products, transportation methods, take into account the costs of sales and advertising in the business plan;
- to reduce costs, provide for independent harvesting of feed on the farm;
- convenient ready-made cages for mini-farms will reduce labor costs when caring for rabbits;
- the greatest risks are associated with infections - to buy rabbits only from breeding farms, to vaccinate the farm's livestock at the recommended time.
Success is more likely if the organizer of the rabbit farm has at least one skill - the ability to run a business or raise rabbits.
The demand for natural meat from farms is growing steadily. Nutritionists confirm the benefits of rabbit meat, so more and more people are looking for delicious fresh meat in stores. By building a business plan, you can quickly achieve profitability and make a decent profit from your rabbit farm.