We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Breeding the Gorky breed of sheep has certain characteristics. These animals were bred by Soviet breeders. They are characterized by excellent meat characteristics and excellent wool productivity. At the same time, only complete and thorough care will help to achieve high parameters. It should include proper nutrition and the creation of optimal conditions for detention.
The origin of the breed
This breed was obtained thanks to the efforts of Soviet breeders from the Gorky region. It was taken out in 1936. It wasn't until 1950 that the breed entered the register. At the same time, work on the improvement of animals was carried out for more than 10 years.
Hampshire was used as a basis, which was crossed with local sheep with coarse wool. As a result, it was possible to obtain semi-fine fleece sheep that were adapted to the local climate.
Zarechny Maxim Valerievich
Agronomist with 12 years of experience. Our best summer cottage expert.
The animals received high productivity parameters from the gampshire. Today, the breeding herd again requires corrective work aimed at increasing productivity and other parameters.
Description and characteristics of the Gorky sheep
The main characteristics of animals of this breed include the following:
- white or gray shade of wool;
- short coat - downy undercoat accounts for 10%;
- medium strong build;
- height at the withers - 55-60 centimeters;
- height at the sacrum - 60-65 centimeters;
- the average weight of females is 40-45 kilograms, males - 55-65;
- wide and long body, voluminous chest - its girth is 70-75 centimeters;
- medium-sized head, high neck;
- small ears - should stand, while lop-earedness is a disadvantage;
- beard in males and females;
- straight limbs and strong hooves.
To assess the parameters of the female's productivity, it is worth considering the appearance of the udder and milk channels. It is important that the udder is symmetrical and large.
To acquire a purebred sheep, you should pay attention to the veins - they must go to the belly.
Main pros and cons
The main advantages of animals include the following:
- high parameters of fertility;
- early maturity - lambs can be slaughtered as early as 6 months;
- adaptability to life in the middle lane;
- high viability of newborn cubs.
The disadvantages of the breed include:
- low parameters of annual wool shearing;
- lack of uniformity of the rune.
This type of sheep has proven itself well among farmers. They make a profit from the sale of milk, wool, meat. These animals are distinguished by their undemanding nutrition. Most of the time they feed on pastures and are characterized by unpretentiousness to the conditions of detention.
Conditions of maintenance and care
These sheep do not need special living conditions. In this case, it is worth observing several requirements:
- The temperature regime should be at least +5 degrees. In this case, the sheep should not be exposed to drafts.
- Animals are susceptible to fungi. Therefore, it is important to ensure that there is no dampness or mold in their home.
- One pet needs at least 2 square meters of free space.
- It is recommended to decorate the shelter for sheep with wood. If the walls are made of concrete or brick, it will be cold and damp inside.
- It is best to make the floor earthy.
- It is important to ensure that there are no sharp corners, protruding nails or wires in the room. This will help prevent injury and coat integrity.
From 2 weeks of age, animals are recommended to be accustomed to pasture. The basis of the diet should be brooms, herbs and high quality hay. Sheep can be grazed for a whole year. With a small amount of snow, it is allowed to do this even in winter. Sheep are able to find greens on their own under the snow cover.
In severe frosts, it is recommended to additionally add straw, oats, barley to the diet in order to provide animals with useful substances.
Tightness and lambing
For sheep breeding, it is important to get the right animals. In this case, it is recommended to adhere to the following rules:
- Buy sheep from specialized farms that breed the Gorky breed. When keeping other lines, there is a risk of acquiring non-purebred pets.
- It is worth buying animals in the spring. This will help to achieve better development. Cubs will be able to receive more greenery and warmth.
- New animals should be quarantined for 30 days.
Lamb lambing occurs once a year. The queens give birth to 1-2 lambs. There are usually no complications during labor. At the same time, lambs grow and develop rapidly. It should be borne in mind that more of these sheep are found in the Nizhny Novgorod region. The most productive and numerous tribe is located in the Bogorodsky region. There are small livestock in the Kirov, Samara, Saratov regions.
Diseases and prevention
Animals are characterized by resistance to pathologies. At the same time, violation of the conditions of detention provokes various diseases. When infected with parasites, there is a risk of developing psoroptosis. This pathology is provoked by special types of ticks. Common non-communicable ailments include pneumonia. Most often, lambs suffer from this disease. Drafts and increased dampness in the room are considered the main provoking factors of the disease.
To avoid problems, it is recommended to vaccinate young animals. Compliance with the conditions for keeping animals is of no small importance. They should eat a balanced diet. Also, do not expose pets to drafts.
The Gorky breed of sheep is considered popular. Animals are highly productive, and therefore many farmers are engaged in breeding them. For this process to be successful, it is important to create suitable conditions for the pets.