We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Gooseberry "Gingerbread Man" (Ribes uva-crispa) - a variety of medium ripening. He was bred at WISISP by crossing the varieties "Change" and "Pink-2". Since 1988, the variety has been actively used in the Central, East Siberian and Volga-Vyatka regions.
The gooseberry bush of the presented variety has a dense crown. Branches are strong, bend down. The length of non-lignified shoots is impressive, the thickness is average, there is no pubescence.
The spikes are located in nodes, short. Buds of brown color, quite large. The shoots on the kidneys are opposite.
The leaves are green, large, have smooth edges. The veins are completely colored; petioles are thick and short. The berries can be large or medium, the shape is round, the color is red, there is a waxy coating. The peel is medium density, the fruits do not crumble.
The gooseberry is table, the taste is sweet and sour. The berries are:
- dry matter;
- vitamin C;
The main advantages of the variety: good survival rate of shoots, early maturity, weak spikes.
Of the disadvantages it is worth noting:
- high bushiness;
- instability to drought;
- fear of sudden changes in temperature.
The benefits of gooseberry berries "Gingerbread Man"
Variety berries contain a huge amount of valuable sugars and vitamins. Gooseberry intake prevents colds. Among other things, it perfectly helps restore strength after curing the infection.
Berries are actively used to prevent anemia, as they contain manganese, iron and copper. Vitamin P in the composition contributes to the normalization of pressure, has a beneficial effect on the walls of blood vessels. The combination of gooseberries and honey helps to cope with hypertension.
Gooseberry berries make it possible to cure diseases of the bladder and kidneys, relieve swelling. Their use also has a beneficial effect on metabolism, and alleviates gastritis. Nevertheless, people suffering from ulcers and diabetes should take the berries with caution - no more than a handful per day.
Gooseberry "Gingerbread Man": features of the variety
Planting gooseberries is recommended in bright areas. The soil should not be too dry and not too wet. It is important that groundwater is located at a distance no closer than one and a half meters to the ground level. If the waters are close, it is recommended to complete the ridges, and only then plant gooseberries on them.
- Landing in those places where raspberries or currants used to be located is not worth it, otherwise the gooseberry may get sick. Planting should be on time so that the bush has time to give berries. The best time is mid-September.
- The bush for planting a bush should have a diameter of at least half a meter and a depth of half a meter. Before placing plants in it, fertilizers should be made consisting of manure or compost, potassium sulfate, superphosphate and minerals.
- The root neck is deepened during planting by 7 centimeters. The soil near the plant is compacted and mulched.
- For a good development of the branches, the seedling shoots should be shortened, leaving 6 centimeters from the ground level.
Variety "Kolobok" self-pollinating, but this does not mean that the seedling should be alone. With cross-pollination, you can achieve better yields. It should be noted that the plant requires constant formation of the crown. In view of this, it should be trimmed annually.
- In the first year after planting, it is customary to leave only a couple of buds.
- In the second year, those shoots whose length has not reached 20 centimeters and branches located close to the ground level are eliminated.
- In the third year, thinning of the crown is carried out.
- In subsequent years, they get rid of only those branches that are close to the soil.
You may also be interested in an article in which we talk about the best recipes for gooseberry jam.
Reviews about gooseberry "Kolobok"
Variety "Kolobok" is characterized by increased resistance to anthracnose and powdery mildew. Even if other varieties get sick, the Gingerbread Man will not get infected from them.
The variety is also good because there are practically no thorns on the branches. This means that the collection of berries will be conducted without problems. The winter hardiness of the bush is average, the nasal plants do not freeze. If the bush was still captured by frost, the frozen parts will necessarily grow.
The "Kolobok" variety takes root perfectly. Fruiting is on one- and two-year-old branches. Ripening period is defined as average. The only drawback of the variety is its high thickening, which leads to the need for regular pruning.
Gooseberry Planting Rules
If there is a need for a gooseberry variety, which gives a good harvest and is not prone to diseases, it is worth giving preference to "Kolobok". This variety is characterized by unpretentious care and high survival rate.