We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Currently, there are a significant number of very decent wine and table grape varieties. Of the table varieties, monarch grapes are very popular among most amateur gardeners.
The hybrid form "Monarch" was obtained by breeder E. G. Pavlovsky as a result of work using the parent pair "Talisman" and "Cardinal" with the participation of a mixture of grape pollen. The form refers to amateur selection.
The ripening period of grapes of this hybrid form takes from 120 to 125 days. Shrubs of considerable growth strength are formed by a fairly well-ripening vine. Standard shoot maturation is 2/3 of growth. The length of the vine reaches 1.3 m. Characteristically quick and easy rooting of cuttings.
Grapes "Monarch" refers to the category of self-pollinated. Berries ripen in the last decade of August. Fully formed clusters are cylindrical in shape and quite large in size. The average weight of the brush is about 0.6 kg. With strict observance of agricultural technology, the weight of the grape cluster often reaches 1 kg.
Presentation-grade berries, uniform in shape and very large in size. Their standard sizes are 3.6 x 2.6 cm, weight reaches 19 g. The shape is ovoid, the color is amber-yellow, with a pleasant tan on the sunny side.
The taste of grapes "Monarch" is high. The sweet and dense pulp of berries has a pleasant harmonious taste, and a light muscat aftertaste. The skin is relatively thin and completely eaten. The number of seeds does not exceed 1-2 pieces per berry. Ripened brushes can be stored on grape bushes for a long time while maintaining commercial qualities. Berries have high rates of sugar accumulation, are not prone to cracking and decay.
Advantages and disadvantages
Winegrowers value the variety for a significant number of advantages:
- grape brushes are characterized by a good presentation;
- berries have a uniform shape and unique taste;
- rotting and peeling of berries is not observed regardless of weather conditions;
- cuttings are characterized by very high rates of rooting;
- frost resistance up to -23-25ºС;
- high resistance to mildew and gray fruit rot.
The disadvantages of the hybrid form of grapes "Monarch" are insignificant:
- tendency to shed ovaries;
- the need for rationing shoots at the stage of berry formation.
In addition, the vine and berries of the Monarch grapes are prone to defeat with flour dew, which is easily eliminated by preventive spraying.
Grapes "Monarch": features of the variety
Landing rules and care features
The method of planting seedlings of this variety is standard for most hybrid forms of grapes:
- the site prepared for landing should be completely cleared of vegetation, not have shading and be protected from through winds;
- good productivity can be achieved by growing this hybrid form on the lungs, with a sufficient degree of soil moisture;
- the occurrence of groundwater should be approximately 1.5 m;
- planting pits should be prepared a month before planting seedlings;
- the standard dimensions of the planting pit are 0.8 x 0.8 m; for reference, you can take the double size of the root system of the seedling;
- at the bottom of the pit, an embankment of high-quality soil should be made with the addition of humus and basic fertilizers;
- before placing the root system of the seedling in the planting pit, the roots should be treated with growth stimulants;
- a seedling mounted on an earthen embankment in the center of the pit should be carefully fixed on a supporting wooden or metal peg;
- after the root system of the planted plant is straightened, it is necessary to fill it with soil mixture and gently ram;
- the root neck of grape seedlings should not be buried in the planting pit;
- Planted plants should be abundantly watered with a weak solution of pharmacy potassium permanganate.
In the first few days after planting, plants need abundant watering. After a week, watering should be limited, and care for grape bushes is carried out according to the standard scheme:
- depending on the amount of rainfall, as well as the type of soil on which the plants are cultivated, the abundance and frequency of irrigation measures should be adjusted;
- to improve pollination, it is recommended to periodically thin out the vine leaves at the flowering stage;
- bushes should be formed on four sleeves;
- pruning is recommended to be carried out medium and exclusively at the dormant stage of plants;
- spraying in order to protect against powdery mildew should be carried out using 1% Bordeaux fluid.
Particular attention should be paid to the load on the bushes. This variety responds very well to the load of shoots, at the same time, they should not fatten. Pruning should be done on 6-8 kidneys and 12.
After reading the corresponding article on our resource, you can familiarize yourself with the peculiarities of the cultivation of Bazhena grapes.
Vine growers, growing the Monarch cultivar for a long time in their personal plots, respond very positively to it and recommend it for cultivation. The agricultural background for this variety is required the same as for most other varieties.
Gardeners note that the berries of this variety do not crumble, they are large and not attractive for wasps, the bushes are quite easy to propagate on the site. Commercial quality, as well as the transportability of ripe berries are very good. Fully ripened berries hold tight to the hands, do not crumble. Monarch grapes are in demand among consumers due to good taste indicators, as well as beautiful appearance, which amazes even in the photo.
The description of the variety, which can often be obtained from many gardeners cultivating this grape, characterizes it as not very picky in care. Subject to agricultural technology, the grape produces a very worthy and early harvest, which justifies the "royal" name of the variety.
How to prune grapes
The originator of the form gave recommendations according to which it is not necessary to normalize the inflorescences of the Monarch grapes before the flowering stage. Experienced growers are not advised to cut excess shoots to eliminate the risk of shedding ovaries. It is possible to carry out rationing after flowering, when the berries are at the stage of formation and do not exceed the size of a pea in size.
The hybrid form of grapes "Monarch" is rather capricious, which implies rigorous implementation of agricultural technology. It is for this reason that the variety is not always successful in beginning gardeners.