We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Potato "under the shovel" is planted by vegetable growers on a non-industrial scale in personal plots. This is the fastest and easiest way, the so-called basic version of planting potatoes, which is in demand not only in our country.
Planting potatoes is easy. Traditionally, in the autumn the soil is loosened, and in spring, prepared potato tubers are planted "under the shovel". When planting potatoes in this way, a number of mandatory requirements should be observed. Only knowing how to properly prepare the site, and observing the technology, you can get a good harvest.
Before planting potatoes "under the shovel", you must make sure that the site is suitable for growing this vegetable crop. It should be small, since the method of landing "under the shovel" belongs to the category of labor-intensive. It is advisable to choose areas well lit by the sun that do not have a close location of groundwater and other reasons for stagnation of moisture.
Proper ground preparation should be carried out. It is recommended to use organics as fertilizers: high-quality humus or rotted manure with the addition of wood ash. The use of compost gives good results.
Professional potato growers recommend preparing the soil for planting since the fall. The procedure can be performed in two ways.
|1st method of autumn soil preparation for potatoes||2nd method of autumn soil preparation for potatoes|
|Digging the soil in the area on the bayonet of a shovel with the simultaneous removal of weeds and fertilizers: 7 kg of manure + 40 g of superphosphate + 15 g of potassium sulfate per square meter of planting area. Prepared potato tubers are planted in the spring under the shovel||Planting an area under potatoes with siderative crops, which are mowed and buried in the soil to a depth of about 10 cm in spring. Siderats, rotting, contribute to the enrichment of the soil with trace elements necessary for potatoes. Tuber planting is carried out after 14 days using peat mulch as the top layer|
When planting "under the shovel" of particular importance is the proper preparation of planting material. Several methods of presowing treatment of potato tubers can be used.
Shovel Potato: Planting Technology
|The method of presowing treatment of tubers||Features of tuber processing technology|
|The use of a solution of "Gibberellin" or "Heteroauxin"||A couple of days before planting, tubers are sprayed with a solution at a concentration of 7 mg per liter of water. 65 kg yield increase per hundred square meters|
|The use of ferric chloride solution||Spraying with a solution a couple of days before planting protects potato plantings from scab, which reduces marketability and shortens the shelf life of the crop|
|Use of succinic acid solution||Potato tubers are processed with a 0.01% solution, which contributes to the outflow of nutrients into root crops and improves not only the biochemical parameters of the potato, but also its taste|
|The use of wood ash||Processing of tubers before planting with wood ash by dusting at the rate of 1 kg of ash per 50 kg of tubers, which allows to increase starchiness and nourish the plant|
|The use of trace elements||Treatment of tubers with a solution of trace elements containing boron, manganese and copper at the rate of ½ tsp. ½ bucket of water|
When preparing seed material intended for planting under the “shovel” method, all tubers should be carefully examined for damage by disease or pests. Only absolutely healthy, medium-sized fruits are planted. You can cut large potato tubers immediately before planting. It is important to sprout potatoes correctly and in advance. Sprouts should be strong and not too long, which will prevent them from breaking off during the planting process.
Planting potato tubers "under the shovel" can be carried out in three ways:
- continuous landing;
- landing on ridges;
- landing in the crests.
Each method has its own characteristics and characteristics. Continuous planting can greatly complicate the implementation of basic plant care measures, due to the closure of potato tops at the last stages of vegetation. In addition, this most common method of cultivating potatoes is not suitable when there is heavy soil on the site. In this case, it is recommended to give preference to planting potatoes in the combs.
"Under the shovel" potatoes are planted on the southern side of the site, on the most level surface with loose and moisture-intensive soil that can quickly heat up in the spring. Landing technology is quite simple.
- You can get straight rows by first plotting landing furrows or using landing along a thick cord.
- The row spacing should have a width of 0.7 m, and the standard distance between the holes should be approximately 28-30 cm. Seed potatoes are planted with a distance between the holes of 20 cm. Narrow row spacings significantly reduce the effectiveness of the measures taken for care. Wide aisles can increase the lateral illumination of potato stems.
- Rows are recommended from north to south.
- Traditionally, planting potatoes "under a shovel" is performed by two: the first gardener digs holes half a spade deep, and the next one puts processed and sprouted potato tubers into the planting holes.
- When planting, it is advisable to add no more than a handful of high-quality compost, humus or fertilizer in the form of nitrate and urea to each well.
- When digging a subsequent landing hole, the previous one is covered with dug up soil, and at the final stage the plot is neatly leveled with a rake.
In order to plant potatoes in areas with a high occurrence of groundwater or in lowlands, ridges about 15 cm high must be formed on the soil surface. The standard distance between the ridges when planting "under the shovel" is 50 cm.
We also offer you to learn about the technology of growing potatoes in a barrel.
After landing care
Regardless of whether the “shovel” method or any other technology was used when planting potatoes, care for this vegetable crop is standard.
- The use of natural fertilizers contributes to the production of environmentally friendly vegetable products. Therefore, it is recommended to use humus and wood ash for top dressing. It is important to consider that excessive introduction of organics can cause the overgrowth of potato tops to the detriment of the quality of the tubers.
- Important activities in the cultivation of potatoes in the garden are cultivation and hilling. The first cultivation is carried out 10 days after planting. Hilling should be done after the tops reach a height of 18-20 cm.
- There are only three main irrigations for the entire potato growing season: when the first seedlings appear, during the budding phase and immediately after flowering.
- To protect against pests, it is desirable to use folk remedies, and the fight against the Colorado potato beetle should be carried out by manual collection of the pest with its subsequent destruction.
- It is recommended to harvest potatoes in dry weather after mass drying of potato tops.
How to prepare potatoes for planting
If the soil on the site for potatoes is properly prepared and fertilized in the fall, and planting is carried out with the right seed and on a small area, then the time-tested method of planting "under the shovel" will bring good results and will allow you to get a high yield.